Hey! I'm sorry that I haven't blogged since I arrived in Cameroon, there has been a severe lack of internet haha. I spent a night in Brussels, after we missed our connecting flight, then one night in Douala, a city in Cameroon, one night in Yaounde where we met the Country Director. From there we then went to Bafia to meet our host families. Mine are in a little rural village called Nyamsung. The family consists of my mom, dad, grandma, 3 little sisters and 3 little brothers. So it is a bit hectic but always interesting. There is no running water and every once in a while we have electricity. However, the only things they own that require electricity are 3 light bulbs, so theres little difference when we don't have it haha. I wake up at 5:50 am to roosters and bird wars outside my window, take a bucket bath, have breakfast (powdered milk and bread is typical), then have the 15 min walk on a bright red, dirt road to training. I then leave training and head home to do chores, speak more french, and eat and do hw. Haha I'm usually in bed by 9pm, so my schedule is a bit different here then my college sleep schedule.
Food: I help my mom make the food in the kitchen, which is separate from the house. Fou-fou, aka cous-cous, is very common. Its not the cous cous that is known in the states. Its a prett laborious task, an the result is a thick starchy paste that you then eat with fish (typically) or beans. I've tried fish heads and termites! Termites are actually not too bad haha. I'd take that over the fish head.
I met the chief of my village. For some reason he visited me, the only trainee who was visited, and gave me a whole speech in French. SO of course I understood very little of it. But, after a little while I understood the honor, and understood that he asked me to say a prayer before dinner. So, I said this prayer in French. haha I haven't prayed in a long time, let alone in French, so it probably wasn't what they were expecting, but the Chief and my dad took it in stride. I was then presented with the fish head and some fou fou. It was a struggle getting that down, but I managed. It was all in all an interesting experience. i oly wish my french was better.
I've also tried african dance. THAT was a lot of fun. Haha watching a bunch of trainees dancing with those in the village....we all had no clue what we were doing, but it was all a lot of fun.
Cameroonians also like to drink.... haha.
my number is 011-237-75904785
skype me! I have service sometimes and I'd love to hear from everyone : ). Miss you guys and I hope all is well. Email me updates on your lives!
No comments:
Post a Comment