Monday, December 5, 2011

Two thanksgivings- I'm a lucky girl

Another holiday has come and gone! Pretty crazy. I truly love Thanksgiving. There's nothing better than good food, good company, and everybody just celebrating what they have and what they have to be grateful for. Corny, I know, but you also know that it's true.

These past couple of weeks have been really busy, and overall, awesome. Djohong had a visitor in town for a week. An American woman from IMC Washington DC, who was in town to do Gender-Based Violence Training. Not only was it refreshing to just see and talk to a new face, but Caleb and I also got the experience to translate for her during the training. It was interesting. I definitely have a lot of respect for translators now- their job isn't easy. But I learned a lot and I'm pretty suremy French got better as a result, so there we go.

After she left, I had to get back to work for World AIDS days (which is really for a week in Cameroon). After teaching my English class (yup, still doing that and actually still enjoying it haha), I met with 6 students, 2 professors, and Caleb to form a peer educators group towards combating AIDS and HIV. For around 2 hours we talked about what AIDS and HIV is, what it does in the body, prevention, and treatment. It was kid of a crash course since these kids were going to help me the following day at IMC's (International Medical Corps) HIV/AIDS thing at the Health center. They were a little nervous but I kept repeating that they would just be there to help and volunteer, they didn't have to do anything that they were uncomfortable with, and I'd be there if they had any questions, etc. I then headed to IMC where I met with the HIV/AIDS department to discuss the logistics for the next day. Everyone was in a bit of a frenzy because nobody would do the female condom demonstrations do to comfort level and culture. So, I very quickly became the person who would give female condom demonstrations with a plastic vagina, in front of a conservative crowd, and lead sensibilisation discussions on AIDS. Another let's throw her in the deep end and see if she swims moment, I guess.

The next day, Thanksgiving, was the big HIV/AIDS event at the Health Center. From 8am until 4:30, people came and went for free testing, information, counseling, etc. I was a little nervous as I watched the crowd form, waiting for the day to begin at around 8:30. Caleb was there to help as well, and when he heard that I would be the one to give female condom demonstrations he just laughed, shook his head, and said good luck. Yea, it was going to be interesting. However, my students showed up, all 6 of them ready to go. They agreed to talk about HIV/AIDS prevention and even give the male condom demonstration. I would still give the female demonstration since that was still a no-go with everyone else. We did it in front of the officials first ( head of the health center, mayor, head of gendarmes, etc) as well as the first big crowd. It ended up going very well, and the kids continued to work all day teaching their peers and parents about AIDS, while I walked around with the box of condoms and plastic vagina giving demonstrations, explaining the benefits, and distributing condoms. Overall, it was a great day that went extremely smooth considering.

While I was doing the AIDS stuff, Caleb had given Bah-Iya's family some money to buy some chickens. We were going to have a Thanksgiving feast. By the time I walked home, exhausted and happy with the day, dinner was almost ready. The family were really excited to celebrate the holiday with us, though the only knew of it vaguely. Other friends joined as well, and we all sat down eating a delicious African feast. We even had some key lime pie that Caleb had made. While we sat eating, Caleb and I listened to a friend of ours explain to the others what Thanksgiving was all about. Besides a few random details, I doubt that I could've explained it better myself. I told them how, some families go around the table and say what they're thankful for, etc. After dinner, a friend asked me if this is what I do at home, eat and then just lay around during a holiday. I laughed and said for Thanksgiving, the only way you know you did it right is if you can't move. If you are ready to dance, you need more pumpkin pie.

Not only did I get that awesome Thanksgiving, but then I got to celebrate it AGAIN. Caleb and I traveled the following day to Ngaoundere for another Thanksgiving feast, this time with volunteers. After delicious chicken, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans and carrots, even pies for dessert (pumpkin included!), we were all sufficiently full. Not full enough though, since yes, we did dance, but it was an excellent night. I'm lucky enough to have been able to celebrate Thanksgiving with two of my new families- Cameroonian and American.

I hope that everyone else's thanksgivings were great too! Send me some holiday stories, please! I miss all of you very much and hope your holiday season is a good one.

*quick sidenote- just to throw this in there really quickly- if you'd like to donate to the Books for Cameroon library project, we'd really appreciate it! It's to help bring 25,000 books to Cameroon.
PC donation link http://1.usa.gov/BFCPhase2
A little holiday spirit.... think about it. Visit Books for Cameroon on youtube, facebook or goole if you'd like more information. Thank you!!*

Miss you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you got your pumpkin pie! I still can't even imagine doing what you do every day. love you!

    ReplyDelete