Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thanksgiving extravaganza and Swearing-In

Oh hey guys. Hope all is well where you are and that you're Thanksgiving was awesome. As I'm sure you all assumed, Cameroonians don't celebrate Thanksgiving. So, my fellow trainees and I decided to take matters into our own hands and make sure we celebrate the glorious day of food. We all put money together and bought a turkey. This turkey was a large ugly thing that decided to constantly talk to itself. It was kept outside the training center, in the back of the building, very close to where I had my French class. So I had the honor of listening to it talk to itself incessantly. In fact, I started to call it Gobble, granted I tried to keep this name to myself knowing this poor turkey's fate. Fortunately, I wasn't in charge of Gobble's demise or the cooking of him. I was given the job of cooking mashed potatoes with 3 other girls. This wasn't exactly easy since we had a spoon to mash the potatoes (pounds of potatoes, enough for 50 people), powdered milk, and butter that's really margarine. We also didn't really have too many other tools but our swiss army knives, but it all worked out and we carried our glorious mashed potatoes in a large pot victoriously back to the training site where the festivities were about to begin. Everyone really pulled together and, as a result, we had tons of food and drinks. Stuffing, macaroni and cheese, turkey and gravy, a bunch of different desserts, and lots more. It ended up being a huge success and a great time.
After over 2 months in Cameroon, filled with traveling mishaps, laughs with new friends, 2 new families and what came with that, illnesses, learning French, learning how to take a moto, dealing with the new food mentally and physically, and tons of other aspects that led to an unbelievable experience, 48 of us swore in as Peace Corps volunteers. During those two months, 2 of us did go home, and I admire their courage and wish them the best of luck with whatever they end up doing.
The Swearing-In ceremony was good. It was like a graduation where all the graduates want to do is get their diplomas and go celebrate. Instead you have to sit and listen to numerous speeches, and at this ceremony half of them are in languages you don't understand, like fulfude and pidgin. Some were in French which I can honestly say I understoof half of. Maybe. Our host families were there as well, and I can imagine that it was even more boring for them. Once again, just like any other graduation. Really exciting, but everyone is also thinking about how they are all going their separate ways afterwards. So, to try and forget that for a night, we all spent that night at a hotel where we just talked, drank, and had a dance party. Good times.
A quick side story- During that night, I went up to my room quickly to grab some soda for a friend. I decided while I was up there to use the bathroom quickly then head back down. Unfortunately, things don't ever go as planned. My hotel room, which I was sharing with Meg, didn't have a working light. So i left the front door open to find the bathroom light. The bathroom door wouldn't close unless I locked it, and I didn't want to leave it open with the room door open, so I locked it. Mistake. I found out a few minutes later that once you lock the door, it doesn't unlock very easily. In fact, it doesn't unlock at all. So I was stuck. I even tried using a variety of tools to help me unlock the door, but no cigar. Luckily I actually had my cell phone with me, thanks to awesome pockets in my skirt. I called Meg telling her I had a slight problem. She comes up, and once surveying the problem bursts out laughing. Together we laugh for a little but then decide that I can't stay in the bathroom forever. We decide to grab Trevor as well for assitance. Meg and Trevor then proceed to work with a leatherman, and a variety of other tools, to get me out for around 45 minutes. It was a really freaking strong door. It was pretty much being destroyed but refused to surrender and let me out. Eventually Trevor was like alright Lindz, I think you should just try and push. So I try that, again, but that didn't really work (not surprising). Then we decided kicking was a good option. After 3 solid kicks, James Bond style, I kicked down the bathroom door. Badass. Though I guess a badass wouldn't have gotten locked in the bathroom in the first place. I'll let you guys decide. Regardless, it was a hilarious situation and I once again have to thank my two amazing friends for helping me get out.
Anyway, I am now in Ngaoundere, a stop on my way to my post, Djohong. After a train ride that actually left and arrived on time without incident (very pleasant surprise haha), I've spent the past 2 days wandering around Ngaoundere attempting to buy things for my house. I won't have electricity or running water and very little cell  service, but there is an area 4 km outside my town where I can get service, so if you want to set up a time and day I'll be at that spot for a phone date! I miss you guys and I hope I'll talk to everyone soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment